Thursday, September 01, 2005

Age ain't nothing but a number...right?

Mood: Blah!
I am listening to: ‘Pieces of Me’ - Go-Go Version
I am reading: Rich Dad, Poor Dad (Finally!)

I just finished reading "The Interruption of Everything" by Terry McMillan and it was great! I think that it started a little slow, but picked up quickly. The plot was a nice change from the usual black fiction themes. If you're looking for something else to read that's not centered on the usual, I would suggest "72 Hour Hold" by Bebe Moore Campbell.

As progressive black women (no matter what age), is it realistic to think that we can date someone within the same age range and be compatible? Is it really true that both sexes mature at different levels? If so, should we aim to date someone older or younger? I have heard younger in order to be more compatible in the bedroom...supposedly men are at their peak earlier than women. I have also heard that we should date older...in order to find a man who is more stable in his career and ready to settle down. Supposedly, women get to this peak first.

No matter what the answer is to any of these questions, I think that it should be my choice. I don’t have a problem with an age difference. I have dated someone 10 years older....but...I didn’t know he was that much older until a little while into it. And this was not because he lied, it was because I assumed. He seemed my age, so I didn’t bother to ask. When I did finally ask...I was shocked. Eventually, I think that it did make a difference, but that’s another story....lol

Since then, I have never assumed age and always asked. But what should you do if you do ask, and are told an untruth that is discovered later? The issue is not with the age difference, but with the deception. The age difference is such a minor point, it makes me question what major things you would feel necessary to hide?

Anyone have any tales of age deception?...By you or someone else?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that slightly bending the truth about age should not result in the total breakdown of trust between people. Sure there may be a little bit more involved when lying about age in order to cover ones tracks and keep it all going, but if the person ultimately comes out and tells the truth on their own, then things should not be looked upon so damaging. There is usually no vicous or evil intent associated with it and isn't always a true reflection of how the person really is. Sure the other person may wonder "well if they were so deceptive and lied about something as small as their age, what bigger things could they lie/or be lying about". Of course its wrong and shouldn't be justified, but as stated in previous posts, certain insecurties can cause a panic mode of divulging false information. Nothing more, nothing less.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home